I have now been to see kabuki twice. It is a traditional form of Japanese theatre. Despite knowing a bit of Japanese now, it is almost impossible for me to understand anything. Fortunately there is an excellent head set that you can use that explains everything in English. The performance itself is a mixture of music, dance, mime and normal acting. All the cast is male, however many make convincing women. Kabuki is famous for the cross-eyed stare that the baddies do.
The first time the performance was a short version of one of the most famous kabuki plays. I was slightly alarmed at the start, because for 10 minutes none of the characters moved and were just making high pitched moaning noises (They were speaking Japanese). Once they started moving it was actually very powerful and I found it quite enjoyable, if a little dark.
The 2nd time, when I went with my parents, it was lighter. Just about a man trying to have an affair, but being caught out by his wife. Considering that he described his wife as a mountain god, ie a monster, I think he deserved what he got!
No comments:
Post a Comment